I am recently back from the Banff Centre for the Arts where I worked on Act 1 of my new opera, OPERA NOIR. It is tentatively scheduled to premiere in Montreal in early 2016 with ECM+. The libretto is by me, and the music is by Andre Ristic. We collaborated once before on our previous opera LES AVENTURES DE MADAME MERVEILLE.
Banff was great! I was the only writer in a music residency and it was pretty awesome. One night, there was an open mic and so I had two artists Tilman Robinson and Alfonso Fernandez play trombone and viola behind me while I read from my book FIRST DAY ON EARTH.
Then it was off to Calgary where I did a great library visit with Forest Lawn Library and then did Breakfast Television Calgary with my pal from my Bite / Nerdy Girl days, Tara Slone.
I’ll be at the WEHO book fair on Sunday 9/29
Here are my panels! I’ll be talking Odd Duck and then moderating some YA panels! Also, I will have some TIN STAR arcs and buttons with me! Find me and tell me your fave celestial object and you will probably get one!
11 am Young Readers Stage
Let’s Talk Picture Books!
2 PM Young Peoples Stage
The End of the World as We Know it! Dystopia!
4PM Young Readers Stage
LOL Funny YA
The winners are @_mrsilva Valerie Burleigh and Juniper Greenstein! Thanks and make sure to email me your snail mail for your Tin Star ARC. And don’t worry if you didn’t win, closer to release there will be a giveaway at Goodreads!
and you can read an excerpt over at Tor.com
Meanwhile, the list of alien human relationships you love were so great and so cool and made me want to rewatch / reread all of the stories where these fantastic friendships are. I thought I’d share with you so you can swoon fondly at all the great human / alien friendships there are in our world and then go outside and look up at the stars and wish for your own extra terrestrial friend.
1. Starman and Jenny Hayden (Karen Allen / Jeff Bridges) in Starman
2. Seven of Nine and Captain Janeaway (ST: Voyager)
3. Han and Chewie (Star Wars)
4. The Neighbors (The Neighbors)
5. Max and Liz (Roswell)
6. Dr. Daniel Jackson & Teal’c (Stargate)
7. The Doctor and Donna (Doctor Who)
8. Mrs Who and Meg Murray (Wrinkle in Time)
9. Eliot and ET (E.T.)
10. John Crichton and Aeryn Sun (Farscape)
11. Tsynq Yr and Karen and Jonathan (Pamela F. Service’s Stinker From Space)
12. The Martian and the off-planet Earthling in Bradbury’s “Night Meeting”
13. FemShep/Garrus (Mass Effect)
14. Thomas Jerome Newton and Mary Lou in The Man Who Fell to Earth
15. Kal-El (Superman) & Lois Lane (Superman)
16. Kirk/Spock (Star Trek)
17. Tristran/Yvaine in Neil Gaiman’s STARDUST
18. Jodahs and his/her human mates (from Imago: Book 3 of Octavia Butler’s Xenogenesis Trilogy)
19. My Teacher Is an Alien: Peter Thompson and Mr. Smith
20. Captain Picard and Q! (Star Trek: TNG)
21. David/Dennis (father-adopted son) relationship in Martian Child
22. Enemy Mine between human Willis and Drac Jeriba.
23. Ben Mason with the skitters in Falling Skies
24. Aliens in ALIENS ATE MY HOMEWORK by Bruce Coville
25. Aliens in Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K LeGuin
26. Wanderer/Melanie from The Host
27. Mork & Mindy
28. The buggers and Ender Wiggin (Ender’s Game)
29. Ripley and the Queen
30. Roger and Stan Smith
31. Arthur Dent and Ford Prefect
32. Corbin and Leeloo, Fifth Element
33. The Doctor and Rose
34. Young Weaglim and Tommy Pepper from Gary D. Schmidt’s It Came from the Stars
35. The Great Gazoo and Fred Flintstone
I’m back from Comic Con! I’ve got a couple of ARCs of TIN STAR to giveaway for those of you who couldn’t be in San Diego to snag one!
Leave your name in the comments (or tweet me or on the facebook comments) along with your fave alien / human friendship/relationship (just for dorky fun!) and I’ll draw the winners at random on August 1st.
On their way to start a new life, Tula and her family travel on the Prairie Rose, a colony ship headed to a planet in the outer reaches of the galaxy. All is going well until the ship makes a stop at a remote space station, the Yertina Feray, and the colonist’s leader, Brother Blue, beats Tula within an inch of her life. An alien, Heckleck, saves her and teaches her the ways of life on the space station.
add it at goodreads!
You can read Chapter One in an excerpt over at Tor.com
I’ll be signing Advanced Reader copies at Comic Con at the MacKids Booth #1220 on Thursday, July 18th at 3 PM. And of course I’ll snag a few to do a giveaway when I come back for those who can’t be at comic con and want to read it in advance of it’s 2/14 release!
San Diego Comic Con Schedule!!!
Come and say hello!
Thursday, July 18th
10 am Trickster* Panel with
Faith Erin Hicks, Lea Hernandez, Vera Bergasol
(* trickster is at 900 Market Street)
3 PM Signing TIN STAR advanced copies at the MacTeen Booth at COMIC CON
Saturday, July 20th
with Douglas Wolk, Jeffrey Brown, Nate Powell, Janet Tashjian and Jim Pascoe
Sunday, July 21st
9:30 am ODD DUCK signing at First Second Booth